Wednesday, January 21, 2015

playing

While at quilt retreat I fell in love with paper piecing all over again. It took a little while for my "little grey cells" to get the hang of it. It had been a few years since I'd learned how. And then I had used quite simple patterns with straight lines, enough challenge for the beginner. Then one day I spotted a bird in a magazine and had to try my hand at it.
I made the bird by copying the photo and drawing my own pattern on light weight interfacing. The original was less than 3 inches across.


I used it on a fabric postcard that I sent as part of an international postcard exchange. Since then I made a larger version, blowing up my drawing on my Epson. I sent that one to a dear friend.
I was sure I would make another for myself. A couple of years had passed, but I did it, at retreat.


In the way of things, the book with CD I had ordered didn't arrive until the day after I returned. That's ok, as it gave me more time to work on other projects. But now that I have it, I'm having a blast exploring what I can do with it.


The CD allows you to easily print the patterns, each in 4 sizes, right onto Carol Doak's foundation papers using my Epson printer.

It's a cozy day to be indoors working. It's snowing softly this afternoon, flakes falling gently in no hurry whatever. And without any fanfare a gift arrived from Rosemary…


may you also be blessed with art you love and unexpected graces.

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful to see my sweet paper-pieced bird on your blog, Sharon. I look at it on my bedroom wall every morning and think of you! And how beautiful is that purple flower! Wish I had your gift for growing plants! So good to catch up on your posts!

    ReplyDelete